Monday, March 8, 2010

Lesson Learned

A lesson that I have learned during my time of growing up I would say would have to be when i was about nine years old. I can remember sitting down on the couch and my mother telling me "Ruben is not your real dad he is your step-dad." It was hard to grasp cause all my life I thought was my dad was my dad not my step-dad but as I sat there in my mind I knew I was weird when people would call me Garcia and Cantu.
As the years went by I started to drift apart from my step-dad then when I was fourteen years old my step-dad cheated on my mom then I learned not all guys will love you when they say till death do us part. My mother stopped talking to him and my little brothers stayed at my house cause they never wanted to stay around there dad. That happened for about a week it was kinda nice I was closer to my mom and we would spend time together before she would always have to take care of my step- dad cause he didn't know how to take care of himself and always thought my mother could just drop everything for him when she couldn't and she would never tell him to do it himself. Then one day we were riding around have a girls day he called after about two weeks of not talking to my mom he asked her "Can you go to the store and get me something to eat?" I was shocked he would even call my mother after what he did to her. Then I expected for my mom to say "Ok I will." but, no she told him "You cheated on me and my kids are hurt by what you did to me I 'm not going to drop anything for you why don't you have the girl you cheated on me with to get it for you cause I don't have time to mess with you." In my mind my jaw dropped after 10 years of taking that from him my mother finally put her foot down. As a month went by my mother started to talk to him I wouldn't go to her house he apologized to my brothers and I. I didn't want anything to do with him after doing that to my mother hurting her and treating her the way he did. I personally think that my mother can do way better then him, but she wants my brothers to have a father figure in there life so she puts up with his stuff. I know sometimes she's happy but when he makes her mad she doesn't want anything to do with him.
I know it's more of a sad story but I learned from my mom to keep my guard up and not to let anybody walk all over you and tell you what to do. I never let people tell me what to do besides teachers and my mother, but if any friends told me what to do I wouldn't do I cause I don't want to wind up like my mother letting people tell her what to do and rule her life. I wish my mother could have learned that lesson when she was young so she wouldn't have the life she has now.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I can't imagine what that must have been like. But at the same time, it's good you know where you come from and who your real dad is.

    ReplyDelete